Ways to Care for yourself during this stress filled time
We all know it and I don’t think at this point I need to spell out that the holidays are filled with stress, expectations and unresolved family and friend dramas.
I am challenging you to incorporate some self care during this time as a way to survive and actually thrive as we work on some habits of self care.
Self care is important as it is a way to fill your reservoir of physical and emotional health. With a full tank we can be more present, have a healthier immune system, give more to others and have more resilience to the stresses of life
“Self-care is never a selfish act – it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer others. Anytime we can listen to our true self and give the care it requires, we do it not only for ourselves, but for the many others whose lives we touch.”
― Parker Palmer, Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation
Some Ideas for Self Care over the Holidays
- Gratitude: Reflect on the year and write down the people, events and things that you can be grateful for. Thru the season reduce your anxiety by reflecting in the moment what you can be grateful for. It can change a feeling in a moment to bring more peace and clarity.
- Say No: In self care sometimes disappointing others happens. We tend to all do it…over schedule to make others happy. I believe we make ourselves busy to avoid the inner knowledge of ourselves and what truly makes us happy. It might be helpful to commit a time every week where you are able to journal, dream about the future, set some goals for the coming year or just to do nothing. The art of just being is a powerful healer to our brain and nervous system
- Bath: Add some salts and essential oils and relax. The salts detoxify and also give valuable Magnesium which relaxes us. It is a beautiful moment to just breathe with no one else around. It is mommy or daddy or just me time! It is not that you deserve it….it is that we need it.
- Tea: Take 10 minutes a day with your favourite tea no matter what. Sit, breath and taste. It will bring you back to the present moment. Just STOP:)
- Talismans: Having something meaningful in your pocket is a great way to check in with yourself. A small rock with a word on it can remind you of the feeling you are choosing at this time. We can all get pulled into the drama and having a secret reminder can bring you back more quickly to you!
- Remember your greatness: You are a GEM!
- Choose foods that nourish not deplete you: Think about eating before the party with healthy nourishment so you can make better choices at the party. Plan what you are willing to eat or drink before you get there. The consequences always come back to you! The average person gains 5lbs over the holiday season and often it stays on. This is not to mention that much of the flu and cold season in January comes because of an over sugared immune system. If that isn’t enough the over eating affects your moods, so often January becomes a downer month for many. Start the year on a high note!
- Rethink menus and healthy options: If you are cooking look to healthy options and lots of veggies on your menus. There are so many resources available now so that we can remove the processed food and choose the whole fresh and nourishing options. When we deviate at least we have filled our tank with some goodness.
- Get outside and walk: Dressed appropriately it can be beautiful! At night the beauty of the neighbourhood lights is uplifting. The average person should aim for 10K steps in a day. Your body will feel energized and keep the inflammation within normal levels.
- Connect with those you love-really listen: My family is notorious for not listening. There is a lot of talking but not a lot of listening. Be a listener and ask questions about peoples lives. It will connect you more deeply and it is amazing to find out what really jazzes people up. Often people connect more deeply when they are heard and I think a lot of families have no idea about each other. Even playing a game can increase the connection
- Pay it Forward-Giving is the essence of the season! We are so lucky…no more needs to be said there! Give a homeless person a pair of wool socks. Pay for a coffee for the person behind you. Give a genuine smile and thank you to those serving you. Tell the janitor and garbage man how much they are appreciated. Say hi to those you walk by and give a smile. You never know how far reaching that may be.
- FUN: commit to having fun. Watch a funny movie, read a funny book, Dance like no one is watching. BLOW BUBBLES! Bring the joy into what you do!
You may surprise yourself that the season just may be that much brighter when you have cared for yourself a little more. As I write this I can feel the love welling up more for those around me!
I wish you all a magical December! I am so grateful for each one of you and allowing me to serve you from the depth of my heart. To me you are all family whether you are here or not. Be good to yourself! Remember to get adjusted it will keep your brain and nervous system calm!
Lots of Love Dr Maureen